4/4/09

Bad to the burn

Weekends around here have become all AJ all the time starting this weekend. It was this way during basketball season, but now that baseball is here, and we have TWO games per week, I'm questioning our devotion to our spawn. Weekends are to be fun, relaxing time. What occurred this weekend was neither and we have signed up to do this every week until mid-June? Have we lost our noodle? Let me explain.

AJ's first game, last week, was canceled due to weather. In Nashville, this time of year is highly unpredictable. Last week we had tornado sirens and warnings on Saturday and the ballparks were flooded. There was no way 7-8 year olds were playing in that weather. He was disappointed, but like a good little soldier, he sucked it up and played Nintendo all day. Practice was canceled all week, again, for weather.

However, through some magical power or some serious "soak it up" dust, the fields were ready for a game last night so the kids played. Husband laughed at me as I bundled myself in my heaviest coat and got Pea, our smallest dog, a blanket. The weather was cooling and I forced AJ to wear a shirt under his t-shirt. Under duress, he pulled it on and glared at me like I was forcing him to eat broccoli (which, coincidentally, he can make himself puke to avoid eating).

30 minutes into the game, we were FREEZING. I could see my breath, Husband had his hands in his shirt and Pea was looking at me like she hated me. Pea hates cold. AJ was immune because he loves baseball. The rest of the parents were coping, but I don't think any of us would have minded cutting the game short. AJ's team lost by a lot. They were seriously outplayed.

On the flipside, they got to play again today. Fearing cold, boy do I fear it, I threw a sweatshirt over my black tshirt and loaded up our Weiner dog and went to the field where I proceeded to fry for an hour and a half. 15 hours after the game where I froze, sure enough, I fried like an egg on the sidewalk. I spilled water on the ground and it was gone less than 5 minutes later. I look like a Milano cookie. Half of my body, the side turned toward the sun, is dark and velvety and the other half, turned away from the sun, is as pale as porcelain. I have a feeling I'm going to look funky tomorrow.

I think the real question here is whether or not this is worth it for the times my son wins...like he did today.

I'll get back to you after I'm done blistering.

Oh,and it's supposed to snow on Monday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment