3/29/09

Stunting his growth

Natalie and I have been friends for many, many years. 10, at my last guess. We have followed essentially the same path in life with few divergences, but have managed to stay in touch and close throughout marriages, births, extreme joys, extreme hardships, loss, grief, many moves, new homes, new states, new careers, new degrees and new opportunities. She is one of my favorite people ever and is one of the very few people I can tell ANYTHING and know that, as gross or wrong as society thinks, or even I think, she'll think it's cool or ok or hilarious. And then she'll make fun of me for it. There is no judgment and even in friendships, that lack of judgment between two people is really rare. We've just been through too much and really, we know know way too much about each other.


Around 9 years ago, Natalie and I were pregnant around the same time. Natalie was pregnant with one of the most gorgeous dark-haired, gypsy featured beauties I've ever seen in my life. Bee (as she will be known), is a precocious, tell it like it is, intelligent girl child. She's a mini-Natalie and is amazing. I was pregnant with AJ, a sensitive, athletic, science-minded, all-american featured boy child who is currently sporting a pumpkin grin. From the time they were womb fetuses, these two were jokingly betrothed. Natalie and I greedily planned grandchildren and enjoyed the idea of not fighting over the rights to grandchildren.

When AJ and Bee met, it seemed all plans were falling into place. They were like two peas in a pod and AJ and Bee's little brother, Mee, are best buddies. Our plans for world domination by living vicariously through our children were imminent.

However, today I hit a snag. One I never saw coming and the ton of bricks didn't fall at once, rather one at a time they fell on that sensitive spot. Someday, AJ, Bee & even little Mee, will all GROW UP. In order for betrothed to get married, THEY HAVE TO GET MARRIED. To have grandkids, they have to...well, YOU KNOW. NO NO NONONONONONONONONONO. MY CHILD WILL NEVER YOU KNOW!!!!!

Ok. Ok. I can handle this. He may or may not you know. We aren't Catholic, but he could decide to be a priest but then I don't get grandchildren. This doesn't seem fair.

So the question is, how does one of my very best friends factor into this? Well, Natalie recently had twins (Holy wow!) and she took a picture of Bee holding one of the babies. Bee is sitting in a hospital bed holding the baby and for all purposes looks like a new mother. Our babies are growing up and it's happening sooner than we ever intended.

It occurred to me that children are doing things more quickly now. Statistics are showing that children engage in non-penetrative sexual contact as early as 12-13 years (7th grade). AJ and Bee are 8 years old. We could be forced to deal with this stuff within the next 5 years. NO. Children can be parents as early as 13. Our children will be adults in 10 years. This is all overwhelming. I know that we can handle this stuff as it comes, but that seems so FAST.


The only thing I know about all of this is that I thank God that Natalie and I will be going through all of this at the same time because there is no way that I would survive it without her. Of course I have Husband, but he's not as sentimental about this as I am. He's a BOY. Natalie will get it. She always does.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, Jilly....:weep:

I loveum you, too. And hell to the year we'll be going through this together. Husband took one look at that picture and insisted I delete it. He's not going to be coherent throughout puberty.

Unknown said...

Hell to the year, what's that?? I meant YEAH!

Jillian said...

It's going to be rough. It would be better if you *ahem* lived here, but no matter what, we'll live. Yes, the picture was disturbing only because she is a natural. Just like you are. :) B is a great daddy.

Post a Comment